I was asked to come to station 9 at 15:15 hrs. After a few minutes, he arrived at the front desk & invited me inside. I was introduced to everyone from the
Captain's right hand man to the constable at the front desk. I then got a full tour of the station from
the locker rooms to the locked evidence room where they store items from the
individuals they arrest. In some cases inspectors come to check for DNA with a mobile unit to take prints and either put it
back for safe keeping or send it to the court as evidence.
I sat in the meeting where the cops were briefed, assigned partners and squad cars. I was asked why I became a vCOP. I began to feel at home. We left to begin the patrol @ 16:00 hrs.; after I signed a paper not holding the Police responsible in case of accident. We patrolled CSL / CP yards, Mtl West, & Hampstead. There is a an especially unsafe corner for pedestrians just before the tracks. We parked to watch the traffic and he asked me to suggest which cars to ticket. I got nervous as the fine is $160., and what did I know. When I finally saw a car make an American stop and block 2 pedestrians I suggested that one. He said he would have given him a ticket anyways; even if I did not say to.
We then proceeded back towards CSL, where corner Canault and Westmore a woman flagged us down saying a young lady was in distress and incoherent, asking if the police could help. The Sergeant diffused the situation and summoned a squad car for help. He secured the traffic so she could not board a nearby bus. Help came in a minute and we left.
We then drove to Hampstead to a B&E on Thurlow. He normally does not intervene himself, but wanted me to see how an investigation takes place. Once the squad car arrived, I was invited in to see everything. I was very impressed. The officers went in with their laptop and took down all the info. We were there quite awhile as the thief did a number in the home.
We then went back to Fleet road where the traffic lights were flashing red stop signals. Again I was asked to watch for offenders. (Too bad I didn't see anyone I don’t like).
It is amazing to see how educated the police officers are, how efficient etc. Every squad car has a removable touch screen laptop.
A special thank you to whoever had the idea for the police ride alongs.
Regards
Allan
P.S. Alan was even present when the Sergeant test fired his loaded revolver in to a sand filled test jig inside the police station before starting out on his patrol.